Release 2022.2: Charles Hodge’s Commentary on 1 Corinthians

In this release, we’re launching Charles Hodge’s commentary on 1 Corinthians. He has commentary on a few other books as well, and we intend to add them eventually, but the text for these commentaries is particularly messy and we wanted to get at least one volume out. We chose 1 Corinthians to start with because it’s particularly helpful in an age where the pentecostal view of spiritual gifts is the air we breathe.

When you read commentary from Calvin, Poole, and Henry on 1 Corinthians you’ll find that they don’t really address the exegetical arguments and presuppositions that you hear today; that’s mostly because the most of the pentecostals’ interpretations hadn’t been invented yet, or were at least exceedingly rare. Charles Hodge actually wrote at a time when these interpretations and views existed and were becoming more common, so he actually addresses them. As I studied the topic of spiritual gifts, I found his volume to be extremely helpful. Specifically, his commentary exposes and refutes a lot of presupposition that I shared with evangelicals and didn’t even know I had—even down to how the gifts themselves are defined.

Anyway, I’d definitely encourage you to check it out if you are looking to study spiritual gifts or if you find yourself getting into arguments discussions with others about them.

Changelog

• Added Charles Hodge’s commentary on 1 Corinthians
  • Fixed some formatting around commentaries for individual verses.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.