Beta 2022.7b: Greek New Testament

We’re adding a Greek New Testament to Relight! This is The 1894 Scrivener text with accents, and with Strong’s tags, and grammar info for each word. The following information is for Greek nerds:

• Strong’s means that each word is connected to its Strong’s number.
  • Parsing is information that will tell you about the form of the word you are seeing, for example it will indicate whether the word is a noun or a verb, and things like what tense a given verb is.
  • Accents are useful for a few reasons. First the text looks weird without them. Sometimes the accent changes meaning, so having them can be clarifying. It’s also helpful in guessing the meaning of a compound word. Also tenses: the accent usually moves one way when a word goes into the past, and the other way when into the future. Lots of study tools that have Greek manuscripts omit these and they can cause a similar level of confusion to in English if you were to skip punctuation or capital letters.

To summarize, this is not unlike the features you’d find in a copy of the NA28 for higher end Bible software (often $100 or more), but this is the Textus Receptus—the Greek manuscript that was used for the translation of the Geneva Bible, KJV, NKJV, and MEV. It therefore doesn’t omit a lot of the stuff that you would find missing in the NA27 or NA28 Greek manuscripts (and thus the ESV, NASB, NIV, etc.).

Changelog

• You will now see the Greek New Testament in the library!
  • You can also quickly navigate to a passage in Greek by typing something like gnt rom 3.
  • The lightbulb icon for verses now shows an option called “Greek Text” that lets you look at the Greek for just the verse you’re reading. Probably more useful for people who know a little Greek but don’t want to be overwhelmed. Or for when you are reading in English and just have a quick question about the Greek.

Known Issues

• Searching the GNT (typing in the omnibar something like gnt καὶ is broken, and I’m not sure why. But I’m planning to fix this before launch.
    • Actually, this is already fixed. Woohoo!

Plans

• Right now, the morphology and Strong’s aren’t showing anywhere. We will be building out features to support this. I’m just not sure if it will be in this release, or if we’ll push this live once it’s tested and then do a quick followup release with more features in a few weeks. I’m leaning toward getting at least some basic word study features into this release, though.
  • I’m really hoping to add a (Masoretic) Hebrew text with similar features before the end of the year, or at least in early 2023.
  • I also want to add a Septuagint (Greek translation of the OT that would have often been read by non-Hebrew believers in the first century church) after that.

Credit

• Please thank @honza for putting together the Greek text with all the data!
1 Like

Updated Changelog

• You can now study the Greek text with morphology. To do this, go to any verse, click the lightbulb icon, and click Study Greek Text.
    • This is distinct from Read Greek Text which just shows the Greek text as text with no extra info.
  • Looking up individual verses in places like cross-references should now be a bit quicker.

Note that the view you get when you click on an individual word is still not final. There are a few things I have left to do to it, hopefully next week:

• I want the morphology to be broken out. Right now it’s a bunch of abbreviations like PREP or V-PAI-1P. Some people know those abbreviations and find them quick and helpful, but I’m gonna break them out for people who don’t know them.
  • This individual word study view also is only showing the lemma right now, and it needs to show the correct form of the word. This isn’t too hard, I just forgot to do it because I don’t know Greek and it’s not as obvious to me that it needs to be done. :rofl:

Nice work, @honza
So GNT is not Good News Translation…

Haha, it is not. I’m hoping people will infer that from all the Greek letters.

Mostest Updatedest Changelogest

• Parsing information now shown when you click on a word.
  • Various design tweaks when studying a word (thanks again to help from @honza)
  • Fixed some bugs that adding the Greek New Testament created.

This should be going live early next week!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.