Reading Plans based on X-refs

Moving here from request of @sbmikucki in How does Relight fit into your daily study?
I like the M’Cheyne reading plan, but there are times when the passages could line up better. Rather than going through trying to line up passages, perhaps there is a way to make connections between passages via concentrations of cross references. If there was a way where Relight envisions the entire network, and then you apply rules to it (whole pericopes or chapters, a certain average length per day, NT and OT every day, or NT, OT, and Wisdom every day) it could spit out a reading plan that would reinforce itself well. It wouldn’t be perfect, but could be useful.

1 Like

That’s a really interesting idea. In the past I’ve really liked the sort of “accidental harmony” on some days with the Navigators’ Discipleship Journal plan (4 readings daily from history, wisdom, gospels, epistles) or the 5-day reading plan I currently do (OT, Psalms, NT), but it would be cool to figure out if some of that harmony could be intentional.

I think some of the serendipity of readings coinciding with one another or with your life/circumstances is probably more about God’s plan than specifically making it happen with computers, but I’m still really curious what the result might be.

Honestly, I’ve always wanted to try Professor Grant Horner’s Bible Reading Plan, but I’ve been intimidated by the commitment to 10 chapters per day. It has ten different bookmarks you use each day to read a chapter from each of ten lists of books. When you get to the end of the list of books for a particular bookmark, you start again, and no bookmark indicates a section with the same number of chapters as another, so the 10 chapters you’re reading each day will never be precisely the same list. The opportunities for accidental harmonization are tremendous! If I had time or a definite plan of how I’d do it, I’d have written this option into my personal Bible-reading podcast software years ago.